Christ Church in Katy, TX has had the privilege of ministering to our members and those in our community who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey. We have been at work gutting and cleaning out homes, installing sheetrock, painting, and other rebuilding work. We have been working in more than 50 homes, from Cypress to Sugar Land, Katy to Pearland, TX.
Thanks to the generous donations of individuals and churches, we have also been able to help many of these families obtain furniture, appliances, and cabinetry. After five months, our efforts are winding down. That does not mean that life is back to "normal" for the families affected by Harvey. Please continue to pray for those impacted by Harvey. But it does mean that we have completed the vast bulk of our relief efforts. We are no longer hosting volunteer teams or actively taking applications for relief, and are no longer actively soliciting donations.
Thank you to all our volunteers, donors, and prayer warriors. We pray that one of the results of Harvey would be the spread of the gospel and the name of the Lord Jesus Christ!
Hurricane Harvey Facts:
- Harvey has produced the greatest amount of rainfall ever recorded in the continental United States from a single storm.
- Rainfall totals average at least 40” in Houston with some locations receiving almost 52”.
- The total amount of rain that fell on the Houston area is estimated to be 20 trillion gallons.
- If the rain had been snow it would have been the equivalent of nearly 210 inches or 17.5 feet of snowfall.
- The storm has affected about 6.8 million people in 18 counties, a quarter of the Texas population.
- An estimated 100,000 homes have been damaged by flooding or tornadoes.
- Over 70 fatalities to date.