Christ Church in Katy, TX is actively helping our members and community who have been affected by Hurricane Harvey. We are very grateful that our church family is safe, though many have evacuated their homes and are beginning the difficult process of rebuilding. We already have a use for funds for cleanup efforts and relocation costs.
The Session of Christ Church has just authorized matching funds for donations made by individuals to our relief fund up to $25,000.
To help with this effort, you may:
- give online (securely) at the button below – 100% of funds will be used for disaster relief
Please note: After clicking the button, you will be asked to enter an amount and then choose Flood Relief from the drop-down menu. If you are giving on behalf of a church or organization, please note this in the comments section.
- send a check (made out to Christ Church with a note for flood relief mailed to 10818 Gaston Rd, Katy, TX 77494)
What we are doing now:
- With local and out of town volunteers, we have worked on 50 homes that have flooded from Cypress to Sugar Land, Katy to Pearland, TX
- helped relocate people displaced by flooding
- Our volunteer teams are personally rebuilding 7 of these homes and our goal is to have them livable by Christmas. Our Christmas present to these families
With all the rebuilding efforts going on across these homes and the other homes our MNA teams are managing, we have a great need for volunteer teams to come and help us rebuild. If you or your church would like to send a team to assist with cleanup and rebuild efforts, please send an email to FloodRelief@cckpca.org.
What do you need to bring?
- NOTHING – Just your willingness to work hard and help us get as much repaired as safety possible
- We have all the safety PPE and tools needed to rebuild and will supply each volunteer team with what they need at the job site
- Our teams have a very nice facility at Grace Methodist Church to lodge in while here with full showers and kitchen setup. Men and Women’s separate sleeping quarters
- Our flood relief support team will provide drinks and lunch each day and dinners each evening if requested. They are also available to run supplies and needed items to the job sites so the volunteers can focus on the work.
- We just need you to come and help us meet our goal to get these 8 families back in their homes for Christmas
Hurricane Harvey Facts:
- Harvey has produced the greatest amount of rainfall ever recorded in the continental United States from a single storm.
- Rainfall totals average at least 40” in Houston with some locations receiving almost 52”.
- The total amount of rain that fell on the Houston area is estimated to be 20 trillion gallons.
- If the rain had been snow it would have been the equivalent of nearly 210 inches or 17.5 feet of snowfall.
- The storm has affected about 6.8 million people in 18 counties, a quarter of the Texas population.
- An estimated 100,000 homes have been damaged by flooding or tornadoes.
- Over 70 fatalities to date.
We covet the prayers of God’s people as we seek to serve in the aftermath of record-breaking flooding!